What is CSPS?
Our world is constantly changing, and ever more so quickly. Postmodernism is the present paradigm, a worldview that defines our era. Pastors and church members alike often express their difficulties in sharing their faith with people who are shaped by the postmodern and secular mindset. We agree that it is not an easy task.
The Global Mission Center for Secular and Postmodern Studies is part of the Office of Adventist Mission at the General Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. It exists to help the Seventh-day Adventist church better understand secular and postmodern people, and to help them live a real experience with God.
Our aim is to better understand secular and postmodern minded people, and to engage them in a relevant and effective manner so that they may have a real experience with God and become His disciples. We produce and encourage scientific research, explore evangelistic methods and provide the church with practical tools to make disciples.
- To serve the Seventh-day Adventist Church in its mission to fulfill Jesus’ command to go and make disciples (Matthew 28) among secular and postmodern cultures, in the context of the three angels’ messages (Revelation 14).
- To be a resource center helping pastors and church members better understand and relate to people of a secular and postmodern mindset, sharing the Everlasting Gospel in relevant ways and facilitating the development of contextualized models that welcome unchurched people.
- To initiate a new church planting effort among secular and postmodern people groups as we fully engage in our mission to disciple all nations and peoples, particularly in the unreached urban areas of the world.
To inspire, mentor, and equip Seventh-day Adventist pastors, churches and organizations to successfully lead seculars and postmoderns into a real experience with God.
- Research. Analyzing where God is at work, seeking to understand the “why” and “how” of methods and models that successfully disciple the secular and postmodern demographic.
- Relevance. Identifying strategies that are appealing and pertinent to secular and postmodern people while seeking to be both culturally relevant and theologically sound.
- Connection. Facilitating communication and interaction among Adventist ministries worldwide as they share their experiences in reaching seculars and postmoderns.
- Collaboration. Producing and distributing cutting-edge materials to help better understand and evangelize contemporary cultures.
- Faithfulness. Maintaining our unique Seventh-day Adventist mission, preparing people for the second coming of Jesus Christ.
- Excellence. Striving to represent God, in all we do, with the highest possible quality and integrity.
Revisiting Postmodernism: the relevance of adventist mission in the 21st century
The First Symposium on Postmodern Sensitive Mission took place at Andrews University, October 18-20, 2012.
The symposium explored, examined and critically engaged with themes and issues related to the challenges and opportunities of postmodernism to Adventist Mission in the 21st century. It was part of an ongoing investigation and debate on the development of mission efforts in postmodern contexts.
The symposium was an open forum for exploring the influence of postmodernism from different perspectives in a broad variety of contexts. Perspectives were presented from those engaged in the fields of Practical Theology, History, Communication, Philosophy, Social Sciences, Music, and Arts in relation to Missiology.
Many of the lectures are now available in our Resources Section.